how to #pictureADVENT
Welcome to #pictureAdvent 2021. This season we are excited to offer a new format for this daily devotional that is created to help you and your families prepare your hearts and homes for Christmas. This daily resource invites you to reflect on scripture with your eyes and hearts using Visio Divina (Latin for "divine seeing"). This is a method for praying with images or other media. Every day you will receive an e-mail with an invitation to:
- View: 3-4 images
- Read: Daily Scripture
- Wonder: reflect on the questions (as an individual, family, or in community)
- Respond: using the #pictureadvent bingo
- Some devotions will include a favorite Advent/Christmas tradition or song from the contributor. You are encouraged to share important traditions in your family too.
Steps for picturing Advent:
- Subscribe to #pictureAdvent at pictureadvent.com
- Starting on November 28, move through the daily devotional playlist as you take time to view, read, wonder, pray, and respond. You might choose to do this as an individual, a family, or in community.
- Find a way to respond:
- Choose an activity from the #pictureAdvent service bingo card
- Capture and share your own pictures as you continue to reflect on the daily scripture and wondering questions.
- Capture your family practicing #picture together and share it with us.
- Post your pictures via social media (If/when posting pictures of minors make sure you have permission to use their photos) with #pictureAdvent
- Follow #pictureAdvent and see how others around the world are connecting to God during this Holy time.
Tips for Ways Congregations Can Use #picture:
- Subscribe! Share the subscription link so people get the email in their inbox
- Social Media: Use one of the photos from the social media kit (coming soon) with a wondering question on your social media
- Opening Devotion: Use one of the devotionals as an opening to a meeting, small group, Bible study, etc.
- Worship: Use the visio divina format as a prayer practice in worship during Advent
- Youth Ministry: Share the devos with youth with a question as a text (or the format appropriate for your church)
Watch this Video to Learn more about how to #picture
Thanks to the Christie Family for sharing how they #picture